Q: You cited some of the objectives the secular humanists hope to
accomplish in America. Would you list their other ideas and educational goals?
A: I have been interested in that question for several years. By reading the press and monitoring the media, it has been possible, I think, to identify a host of objectives that might be called "the family agenda of the left." Listed below are their goals as I perceive them.
1. Convince the public that the training and development of children are far too important to be left to the whims and errors of parents. Only child-development authorities and professionals, commissioned by the government, can do the job properly. Mothers and fathers must yield control tot hose who are better equipped for the task of raising children.
2. Propagandize heavily against the use of corporal punishment as a disciplinary measure with children. Equate it with child abuse, even when administered judiciously by loving parents. Ultimately, secure legislation to outlaw the practice.
3. Continually emphasize an exhaustive list of "children's rights," which will provide wedges to separate kids from their parents.
4. Provide mandatory schooling for every four-year-old, so that young minds can be controlled. This will be accomplished first through government-sponsored childcare centers. Once established with federal funds, they should eventually drive unassisted church-based facilities out of competition.
5. Teach students that gay and lesbian lifestyles are no less moral than heterosexual relationships, and that they typically involve long-term monogamous commitments. Teach girls that it is just as appropriate to fall in love and have intimate relationships with another girl as with a body (and do the same for boys). Design counseling programs for gay and lesbian students that will permit subtle recruitment services. (This is being done in Los Angeles City Schools through a program called Project 10. It assumes that ten percent of students are homosexual, and provides programs to recruit and support new converts.)
6. Demystify the occult. Shirley MacLaine has assisted immeasurably here. Any belief system other than the Christian faith is seen as an improvement, including the mysticism of Eastern religions.
7. Remove all references to God from school literature, such as with regard to the Pilgrims' worship on Thanksgiving, and from every dimension of public life.
8. Work to remove tax exemptions for religious institutions and begin to control them through regulatory and legislative mandate.
9. Require churches, businesses, and schools to hire gays, lesbians and others who contradict their faith.
10. Promote Gay-Pride celebrations in every American city, and seek equivalent legal status of families for homosexual and lesbian partners.
11. Expand the power of government and its bureaucracies to control every vestige of private life.
12. Increase the tax burden on families, forcing more women into the work force and their children into childcare facilities.
13. Require military women to fight in combat.
14. Repeal all laws relating to obscenity, and even child pornography.
15. Eliminate the motion picture rating system so that patrons (and parents) cannot easily avoid violent and explicit sexuality in films.
16. Make homemakers feel exploited, stupid and useless. Especially at the college and university level, ridicule female students who wish to marry, to have a family, or to postpone or avoid a career.
17. Oppose with vengeance any effort to teach, or even mention, creation as an explanation for the earth's beginnings.
18. Monitor every judge appointed or seeking election. The judiciary is the key to the leftist agenda.
19. Secure far-reaching rights of students on junior and senior high school campuses. Limit the authority of teachers and principals to enforce rules of conduct.
20. Implement an aggressive sex-ed program, beginning in kindergarten, that is guided by no moral code. Safe sex is its centerpiece.
21. Provide for legal infanticide in cases of sever handicap or mental retardation.
22. Guarantee the "right to die" to anyone desiring suicide. Physicians should be free to assist in the act of dying.
23. Work to remove all state sodomy laws.
24. Fight tooth and nail to retain the right to abortion on demand--up to the moment of birth--for any reason whatsoever.
25. Operate aggressive "death education" classes in public schools to desensitize children to dying and to help them see life materialistically.
There are other objectives, I'm sure, but these appear to be the most pressing.
Book: Children at Risk
By Dr. James Dobson and Gary Bauer